Search This Blog

25 April 2009

Heterodoxy or Heresy

What is heresy?
Is heterodoxy heresy?
What is orthodoxy?
What are the essential core elements of Christianity?
Incarnation?
Virgin Birth?
Crucifixion?
Resurrection?
Salvation?
Biblical literalism?
Biblical Inerrancy?
Hetero-Patriarchy?
Misogyny?
Sexism?
Hetero-sexism?
Racism?
Imperialism?
Capitalism?
American nationalism/patriotism?
Egalitarianism?
Inclusivity?
Diversity?
Justice?
Liberation?

Must I believe all of the above?
Must my praxis reflect all of the above?
Is there some critical core mass?

Who decides? God and the Church... Who is God? What is the Church? Who speaks for God? Who speaks for the Church? Whose voices are heard? Whose voices are silent? Whose voices are silenced?

It seems to me that the shouters - not those filled with the Holy Ghost as my ancestors would say - but the yellers and the violent, they have defined God, Christianity and the Church for the rest of us.

They have labeled some of us as heretics, murdered and martyred us.
Yet we survive. We are the Church.

And I, I speak to and for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment