Search This Blog

07 January 2011

Transforming the Bitterness of Life to Sweetness

Now, daughter, child of earth, hear what I am saying to you... open your mouth and eat what I give you daughter. I looked, and a hand was stretched out to me, and a written scroll was in it. The hand spread it before me; the scroll had writing on the front and on the back, and written on it were words of lamentation and mourning and woe. The messenger said to me, child of earth, eat what is offered to you; eat this scroll, and go, speak... So I opened my mouth, and the messenger gave me the scroll to eat. The messenger said to me, child of earth, eat this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it. Then I ate it; and in my mouth it was as sweet as honey. 
Ezekiel 2:8-3:3

As the new moon gives birth to a new month I sat in a circle of women welcoming her, reflecting on the blessings and challenges of the month before. In the course of the evenings teaching and meditation, our priestess taught the Honey-Torah of Ezekiel: Take the bitter experiences of life into yourself and transform them.

In truth, the taking is the easy part. Honestly, I absorb pain and disappointment readily. But I don't always know what to do with it. Rather than let it poison me, I can transform it. Or perhaps, God in me. I have struggled with letting things go. Now I know that when I cannot let go of anger, hurt or disappointment, I can transform it. And in the process, I am transformed.

2 comments:

  1. This has so much resonance for me. I try to transform anger. It's odd that I seem to be better at doing it for recent hurts than for what should be ancient history.

    ReplyDelete