Search This Blog

23 June 2011

Words Heal

I know that words hurt. But sometimes I forget that words heal. A young man staying at the same guesthouse as I am came to me today to tell me how important it was for him as a gay man to hear me as a priest talk about my friends and colleagues some of whom are lesbian and gay and married and partnered. He has left the church and his partner is leaving the church because they have not found it welcoming or hospitable. That is so sad and so tragic. Simply acknowledging that I have all sorts of friends and that is not incapable with my faith in or service to Christ was empowering and affirming for him. I think I am embarrassed (and ashamed on behalf of the church) that it took so little.
God loves everyone dammit! What part of all do you not @#$%ing get?

No comments:

Post a Comment