Search This Blog

22 June 2012

What Sustains Me


Today's Blog brought to you by RevGalBlogPals, the circle of women clergy and seminarian bloggers (and some of their pals) who got me to blog in the first place and are my regular conversation partners.

  1. What brings you light in the dark places? 
  2. How do you connect/reconnect with God, and where do you find him/her holding you?
  3. Is there a prayer/poem/piece of liturgy that speaks life/sustains you?
  4. Is there a piece of music that lifts your heart?
  5. Is there a place you run to (even in your imagination?
Light in the Dark

A single flame, a single candle is all I need to see light radiating into, through and beyond the darkness. My favorite Advent hymn:

There's A Light in the Darkness (Over At The Frankenstein Place)

In the velvet darkness of the blackest night
Burning bright, there's a guiding star
No matter what or who you are.
There's a light over at the Frankenstein Place
There's a light burning in the fireplace
There's a light, light in the darkness of everybody's life.
The darkness must go down the river of nights dreaming
Flow morphia slow, let the sun and light come streaming
Into my life, into my life.
There's a light over at the Frankenstein Place
There's a light burning in the fireplace
There's a light, light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack

Reconnecting with God

Prayer, freeform, sighing, longing, hoping, no words necessary. And more recently burning, smelling and watching ascend, incense.

Holy Words
I have two prayer mantras:
אל נא רפא נא לא

"Hear Holy One, hear and heal (her)."
- My translation of Num 12:13, the prayer for Prophet Miriam's healing.

And, "Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Sacred Songs
I love classical gospel music. A trinity of "storm" songs has accompanied  me in the last year:
James Cleveland Peace Be Still
My Soul is Anchored in the Lord

Sacred Space, Prayer Place

Prayer-walking in a favorite place. A couple of miles listening to gospel music. My prayer places vary depending on what continent I'm on. Here are a couple of my favorites. 
I am always restored by proximity to the water. And when it fills the horizon I am closet to God.

1 comment:

  1. Rocky Horror! Love it. First time I've seen that quoted on a RevGal blog. Love your pictures, too. Peace.

    ReplyDelete