Search This Blog

26 December 2010

A Christmas Prayer

Holy Christ,
As the world commemorates your birth, 
I am pondering some things in my heart.
Holy Child of God,
The mystery of your birth bears witness to the power of God. 
Your Incarnation in the Virgin's womb changed 
life, death, space and time for all time.
This I know. This I believe.
Yet in many ways, the world is still the same.
Most Holy Woman-Born,
You came to us  and come to us in ordinary and extraordinary ways.
I still see you at work in the ordinary and the extraordinary.
Yet I would have much more of the extraordinary.
Holy Son of God and Son of Woman,
Your Incarnation, life-teaching and teaching-life, death and Resurrection
changed life, death, space and time for all time.  
Yet in many ways, the world is still the same.
Holy One of Life and Light,
Help me to see more of your power and presence in the world.
Holy One of Earth and Sky,
Help me to see the world beyond the world.
Help me to see the good that you see.
Help me to see the beauty that you see.
Holy Teacher,
Let me read your word 
in earth and sky, water and winter, hope and hurt.
Holy Shepherd and Shelter,
Let my work be your work. 
As you change the world,
let me be an agent of your change.
Let me see your work in this world.
Holy One of Love Incarnate,
Let me know your love for me at all times,
especially in times of doubt and fear.
Let me see your love in the world, in all the world,
especially in the places that seem most God-forsaken.
Let me be a vessel of your love to myself and to all the world.
Holy One of Old,
May the days between this Christmas and the next
find the light of your life in every dark place,
even in the corners of my heart.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment